A.W. BODINE-SUNKIST SCHOLARSHIP
1. A background in California or Arizona agriculture – the student or someone in the student’s immediate family must have derived the majority of his or her income from agriculture;
2. Financial need; and
3. GPA and extracurricular activities indicative of potential for success.
In addition, selection is based on a combination of an essay and references. The scholarships are available to students entering any undergraduate grade level who are enrolled in or have applications pending at an accredited college and plan to pursue a course of study leading to a recognized degree.
While the award amount may vary, it averages $2,000.00 per academic year. Scholarships are renewable, based on an annual review, for up to four years of full-time undergraduate study, and it may be extended under special circumstances. While in college, the recipients must maintain good academic and disciplinary standings, carry at least 12 graded units per term and earn a minimum 2.7 grade point average.
A complete application package is essential for consideration. Students must complete the confidential application which includes:
– Personal and financial information – including the most recent tax return (students under 21 must attach their parents’ tax returns);
– A written essay discussing personal and agricultural background;
– Transcripts of grades and
– Two references from teachers, school administrators, employers or community organizers.